Unique Guy

 All officers in the area please respond. There's a suspect headed toward the shopping plaza. He has been confirmed to be armed. 

"Come on, here's our chance", Josh exclaimed. 

"We don't have orders to take on something like this."

"Don't be serious! I hate giving out dumb tickets, it's stupid. I want some action!"

"And we will do that someday but not right now. We are still rookies", I said. 

"Tyler, we are the only officers in the area quick enough to respond. The rest are somewhere else handling that huge car accident. We are top of the class for a reason, we can handle this!"

He makes a point. If someone is armed and heading over to a populated area, we can't let them get away and hurt innocent people. 

"Fine but we are going to work together. We can't mess up."

"Yes, yes, okay. Let's go!"

I drove us over to where the suspect was last spotted. I radioed in to let dispatch know we are on the scene. 

"Be very careful. Don't draw your gun until I say so."

"Okay."

We were cautious about the suspect spotting us, he might start shooting. We needed to get him away from here. As we passed by some of the people, we told them to leave, clearing out the area as much as we could without causing panic. 

"I see him", Josh said. 

That's when the suspect spotted us and took off. 

"Damn it!"

Josh took off. 

"Josh wait!"

"We can't let him get away", Josh shouted. 

I ran after him. Luckily the guy ran away from the plaza and into an alley. Josh pulled out his gun. 

"Josh! What are you doing?!" 

"We have a chance to take him down now!"

"We can't shoot him while he's running away! Didn't you pay attention in class?!"

"Screw that!"

Once out the alley, we round a corner. The suspect was headed towards a busy intersection. That's when he took out his gun and started aiming at cars. 

"What do we do now", Josh shouted. 

I looked around. Tires screeched to a halt, and others quickly drove off. The suspect started shooting. I quickly pulled out my gun. 

"Stop right now or we'll shoot", I shouted. 

He quickly turned around, aiming at us. 

"Josh!"

I shot at him, giving Josh a chance to get out the way. The suspect turned to run again, we were hot on his tail. 

This isn't going well at all. 

"Where the hell are the other officers", I shouted. 

"I don't know, but we need to do something fast or he's going to kill someone", Josh said. 

I don't want Josh to be responsible if something bad happens. This has to fall on me, I'm leading this after all. I ran faster, beating Josh so I could take the lead. I aimed my gun at the suspect and then fired. I watched him fall forward.  Josh and I stopped. We stood there to catch our breath. 

"Tyler..."

"Just...I know...I didn't know what to do so I..."

Suddenly, the suspect started moving. 

"He's alive", Josh said as he ran over to him. 

"Stay right there unless you want to get shot again", he said with his gun pointed at him. 

Additional officers eventually arrived at the scene. Our captain also was present. 

"Tyler, Josh, I need to have a word with you two."

We both looked at each other before following him. 

"You know this isn't how we handle things. You shot a fleeing suspect, what was your reason for that. I'm surprised you of all people would do that Tyler", he said. 

"Look sir, I was going to do that too but he--"

"Please don't punish Josh. This was my decision alone, I was the one to shoot him knowing I could have handled this another way. I just... panicked. I didn't know what to do so...I thought this was the best way to stop him."

"And if he had died, what were you planning on saying to the swarming news reporters we could have gotten?"

"I-I...don't know sir..."

He let out a sigh and then walked over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"Don't sweat it. I had to make it look like I was mad at you. In fact, I would have done the same thing. Too many cops only have book smarts, but you have more. The both of you. Good work."

With that being said he left. 

Josh and I stood there in silence, not expecting him to say any of that. 

"I like the captain a lot more now", Josh said. 

"Agreed. He's one to not follow the books. I like that", I said. 

Captain Bells, he's one unique guy. 


Comments

Popular Posts